The reconstruction of the breast after a cancer is one of the current surgical procedures within the plastic surgery safer and more rewarding for the patient. The development of new techniques allows the plastic surgeon to create a breast very similar in shape, texture and characteristics to the non-operated.
Breast reconstruction techniques:
There are several types of operation to rebuild the breast:
- Techniques of cutaneous expansion: it is the most used and it consists of expanding the skin and, later, placing a prosthesis.
- Techniques that use own tissues: these techniques use their own tissues to create a natural breast and consist in the mobilization or transplantation of tissues from other areas of the body such as the abdomen or back.
- General anesthesia.
- Intervention time: The duration of the intervention is 1 hour if the expander is placed and approximately 4 hours if a reconstruction with own tissue is performed.
- Stay in the hospital: It is 24 hours or 5-7 days.
- Recovery: Depends on the technique used.
- Final Result: 3 months.